The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2003 with sponsorship
of K.L.E Society, Belgaum. Later in 2006 the Department of Microbiology joined the
Department of Biotechnology, realizing the importance of availability of trained
man power in the area of biotechnology in this area.
The department aimed generating skilled manpower in different areas of Biotechnology
which would not only feed the Biotechnology related industries but also would provide
motivated persons required by other institutions.
Certificate Courses Offered
1. Advance laboratory techniques in biotechnology by the UGC assistance,
2.Water quality testing in collaboration with California University USA and undergraduate
course in iotechnology.
3.Certificate course in ethics and values.This course is sponsored by UGC.
4.Fermentation Technology- UGC Sponsored.
About the Syllabus
The department has taken care in designing need based employable curriculum with
inclusion of recent topics. In the curriculum even at the undergraduate level student
has to undertake a project work over a period of two semesters with one of the faculty
member as the supervisor. The department has formulated a programme called “Journal
club” where in every student has to select the research article from the reputed
research journal of their choice, each student has to present it before the students
with the use of ICT, during which time the students are exposed to actual research.
This helps them tremendously in building up their confidence and understanding of
biotechnology and microbiology.
The department has taken care in designing need based, employable curriculum with
the inclusion of recent topics. In the curriculum even at the undergraduate level
students have to undertake a project work over a period of two semesters with one
of the faculty members as the supervisor. The department has formulated a programme
called “Journal club” wherein every student has to select the research
article from the reputed research journal of their choice, each student has to present
it before the students with the use of ICT, during which the students are exposed
to actual research. This helps them tremendously in building up their confidence
and understanding of biotechnology and microbiology.
About P.G Course in Biotechnology
The department has started Postgraduate course in Biotechnology in the year 2009
with an objective to provide need based, employable education, The curriculum has
been designed by giving more emphasis on interdisciplinary theoretical teaching,
adequate hands-on training, to create a real impact on the development of biotechnology
in the country and abroad. This can help in providing better living conditions to
people. It also aims in training the students in problem solving and to take up
knowledge generating multidisciplinary projects.
Special Features of the Department
The department has established collaborations with many academic and research institutions
- University of California Berkely, USA,
- Jawaharlal Nehru medical college and Research centre,
- Karnataka Cancer Therapy and Research Institute,
- Research centre of DNA Diagnostic, Karnatak University, Dharwad
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences.
These collaborations have helped us in providing training , joint research projects
and employment for the students,
The curriculum for postgraduate comprises the fastest growing areas in Biotechnology
like, recombinant DNA technology, microbial technology, tissue culture technology,
cell and molecular biology, pharmaceutical biotechnology, enzymology, immunotechnology
and protein engineering. The curriculum includes project spread over all the semesters
with recordable weightage.
Department practices continuous internal assessment system to evaluate student performance.
The laboratories of the department i.e. undergraduate laboratory, postgraduate laboratory
and research laboratories are well furnished with state-of-art equipments.
Well qualified faculties of the department properly guide and counsel the students
at all stages for their all over development.
The research laboratory of the department has been recognized by KLE Health University,
Belgaum. This recognisition has helped to start Ph. D programme in the department.
At present two students have registered their names for Ph.D
The empanelment of laboratory for sampling and analysis of water and waste water
by the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board, Bangalore.
The important trust areas of research are
- Molecular aspects in gene expression in breast cancer
- Molecular studies on the virus causing swine fever in swine
- Analysis of Vitamin ‘C' in various diseased conditions
- Marker studies in the cause of cervical cancer by Human papilloma virus
- Gene expression studies of Brucelli in humans.
- Molecular studies on oral cancer
- Biomarker studies in cardiac elements
The basic infrastructural facilities for research laboratory are provided by the
assistance of UGC. The research programme has received assistance form UGC in the
form of major research projects.
The department has a plan to take up research problems which attract a lot of interest
from industry and candidates sponsored by industry can be trained.
- Presentation of students research papers at National level seminars
- Best paper presentation awards for students at National Seminars
- Creating awareness in the use of portable contaminated free drinking
- Providing safe drinking water kits at slum areas.
- Presentation of scientific papers at National and International seminar
- Scientific poster presentation at international seminar.
- Award of major research projects.
- Recognisition of research laboratory and guide to undertake interdisciplinary
- Community skill development programme by students and staff i.e. household
- To provide adequate hands on training by inclusion of implant
training at all levels
- Impart real interdisciplinary training in biotechnology.
- Industrial and applied biotechnology problems related to health care
- Placements of students in the industry
- To organize National and International conferences.
- To undertake action research.
- To organize National and International conferences.
- Proposal to funding agencies for research work
- Enhance collaboration with research institutions.
Faculty of the Department
- Smt. Geetanjali Kambale M.Sc
- Dr. T.Y. MudaraddiM.Sc. Ph.D
- Dr. Girish Babu M.Sc. Ph.D.
- Miss. Vijayalaxmi M.Sc
- Smt. Phebe Parimala M.SC. Phil
- Smt. Shyama V.S M.SC
- Shri. Rajeev R PotadarM.Sc. M.Phil
- Shri Vishal U Kalebar M.Sc.
- Miss. Deepa A Desai M.Sc.
Faculty – (Interdisciplinary teaching)
- Dr. B.S. Agadi. M.Sc. Ph.D (Botany)
- Dr. J.V. Arali. MSc. Ph.D (statistics)
- Sri. Bhushan Kulkarni
- Sri. Veeresh Hanchinal
- Smt. Shantala S.
Major Research Projects - 4
Minor Research Projects - 3
Development of Infrastructural facilities for research
Certificate course - 4