Botany department has been established as Biology department in 1957 and later separated
as full pledged department in 1974. Botany subject is taught as an optional (core)
- The department has been consistently getting more than 95% result in theory and
100% in the practical examinations.
- The students have been involving in research projects.
- The students are adopted the medicinal plants during the course time.
GOAL OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The department seeks to offer its students overall development and academic excellence
to contribute effectively to the research and development of the subject.
• Bachelor of Science (B. Sc) in Chemistry, Botany, Zoology.
• Bachelor of Science (B. Sc) In Chemistry, Botany, Biotechnology.
• Bachelor of Science (B. Sc) In Chemistry, Botany, Microbiology.
• Bachelor of Science (B. Sc) In Chemistry, Botany, Genetics.
Students are taken to visit different places of Western Ghats, forest vegetations,
Agriculture University, agro based industries to have an on hand experience
of ecological systems, horticulture, floriculture, agriculture etc.
is the name of activities conducted by the department of Botany to conduct the guest
lectures, student seminars, quiz, model preparations and etc.
Our students have the good opportunity of learning and have practical training programmes
by the certificate courses offered in the botany course namely Plant propagation,
Gardening and landscaping.
The department blends the traditional subject with modern disciplines like plant
tissue culture, plant biotechnology, Genetics, Molecular biology, Biochemistry,
biophysics, bioinformatics and biostatistics. The lush green garden and medicinal
garden of the college campus is the open laboratory for the learners. The department
provides computers with internet facility, a library, a well equipped tissue culture
laboratory, a green house and a well maintained museum with more than 900 specimens.
- Dr. B. S. Agadi. MSc., Ph.D.
- Sri. A. B. Sonappanavar. M. Sc., Qualified SLET, Submitted the Ph. D thesis to Karnatak
University, Dharwad. Karnataka.
- Sri. L. C. Kulkarni. M.Sc., M. Phil, registered for Ph. D at Karnatak University,
RESEARCH THRUST AREAS:
Faculty and students are actively involved in research activities in plant tissue
culture, Plant histochemistry, Plant development biology, Phytochemical studies
of medicinal plants and plant systematics.
- One major and one minor research projects sanctioned by UGC are under progress.
- Original research papers published in peer reviewed National and International journals.
- Faculty and students are participating and presented papers in state, national and
international level conferences, seminars and symposium.
- A research paper of Sri. A. B. Sonappanavar on plant tissue culture was adjudged
as best presentation at international conference.
- College garden is champion garden since 15 years judged by Govt. Horticulture department
- Students have secured first prize in Zonal level science exhibition conducted by
Govt. of Karnataka since four years.